Jim’s dad died on July 25 in Houston after a long decline due to complications of diabetes. See the obituary here. A particularly poignant moment illustrates the kind of man he was. The day before he died, Claire and Jim were in the room when Jim Sr. woke up and was lucid for a while. Jim started crying. His father tried to reach up to comfort him, but was unable to because of the bed restraints. On Sunday morning, many of us were in the hospital room listening to his labored breathing. Marion arrived about 9:30 and went to his side. She stroked his head and said, “You don’t need to struggle any more.” He died quietly a few minutes later as though he’d been waiting for her.
After talking about it for years, we finally scheduled a trip to the Galapagos. It was everything we expected: fascinating geology and history, very tame birds and animals, and unique species, such as the only flightless cormorant in the world. Those of you who saw Master and Commander already know that. We kept looking for the part of the island shown in the movie. We are a bit suspicious that it may have been on a sound stage in California. Other rarities include the only penguin that occurs in the Northern Hemisphere and the oldest post office in the Southern Hemisphere.We have a longer write-up and a collection of photos elsewhere in the report.
In addition to the Galapagos, we managed several short trips within the USA. Click on the header for more on each topic.
- Saratoga, FL: Along with a bunch of old Rice Buddies, mostly from Baker College, we visited Florida for a long weekend, where we managed to find a new lifer (bird) for Jim and two for Linda.
- Annapolis and DC: Charles and Amy had enough of the Right coast and decided to move to the Bay Area. We worked in a last visit to the area before they left, taking both Grandmothers to see the World War II Memorial.
- New York: Linda zipped up to the Big Apple before Claire left for a quick visit and a couple of Broadway plays.
- Los Angeles: Claire moved to LaLaLand for a year-long fellowship in Pediatric Anesthesiology. Following tradition, we went there for Thanksgiving. Jim had a nice birthday on the plane trip out there.
- Saint Croix, US Virgin Islands: You can't move from Annapolis to California all at once. You have to work in one last vacation before the move. Charles and Amy chose St. Croix as the perfect spot.
Click on the buttons at the top left of this page for reports on the various family members.